Monday, September 1, 2008

Summer in Review, 2008 Edition!

Alright. So it looks as if it's finally here. Last day of my summer---it's almost as if I'm awaiting execution or something. Nah, not exactly. I told myself the second I finished writing my last essay---a reaction paper on a book I can't say I even opened---I'd get to writing this shindig. And I'll even use proper capitalization, maybe some exclamation marks; because, the truth is, I have to start waking up at 5:45 in the a.m. for the next 180some days, and I should let summer go out with a bang. Let's get started, bitchwhores.
This summer was full of firsts. I went to Japan, for one, which was certainly life changing, to be terribly cliche about it. I was exposed to a life of sin: alcohol, jazz, adultery, snuff films---wait, that's not how it went down... Well, I did drink for the first time, at least. I did indeed fall asleep in the corner of my hotel room under the influence of Xanax (only slightly!) reading a Japanese softcore girlie mag. I hung out with a very drunk Frengel at 3 a.m., and proceeded to walk barefoot on the sidewalk, feeling the warm Tokyo rain fall to my skin from the night sky. I was nearly mauled by a very inebriated---"I'm not drunk!"--- 25 year old Aflac salesman. I used a public bath---you know it, completely naked in front of complete strangers and not giving an American damn about it. I sang karaoke in rented rooms and even a tour bus. I visited epic (and I mean EPIC) Japanese department stores with beautiful things around every corner. I tried broiled eel, snail, fish eggs, and raw squid. I navigated Japanese cities sans adult supervision. The memories could go on for miles. Fuck, at some point I was even flashed by a hermaphrodite. And I don't regret one single thing.
I came home from this fantastic oddysey with a few things on my mind: how the hell did I feel the way that I did, and where can I find it yet again? My sleep schedule died on me, so for a week, I stayed up late, slept in later.
I ended the longest relationship to date that I've ever had, and with some time grew stronger. I watched Cannibal Holocaust and made the decision that I shan't ever do that again. Impressed some folks with my wit (my humility is deafening!). Got a CAT scan after Warped Tour due to an accidental small kick to the head. I wore a short dress in public and felt confident about it. I kissed a girl and I liked it. I did a Noel Gallagher impersonation (okay, a few). I went to the gym for like, a month, and my bum is a little perkier nowadays. I drove once, and didn't kill myself, or anybody else in the process (came close, but let's stick to the point, guys!). I remained friends with the great, great, great people I grew close to in Asia. I finished my scrapbook documenting what has been the greatest week of my life. You know what that means? That means I finished SOMETHING. Which is a mighty ginormous deal for a girl like me.
I didn't die. I mean, that's a good development.
I met someone pretty damn cool. Actually, I met a few of those. And thanks to one certain person, I've noticed that for the first time since that grand week two months and a few thousand miles away, I finally feel like I'm okay with making mistakes again. "Throw caution to the wind." Take a risk. I think they call it living.

I couldn't have asked for a better summer. I couldn't have asked for a better time for everything to just fall into place the way that it has. Surely, all is flawed, but I am prepared to accept that fact, because for now, there are conversations to be had, dirty jokes to be made, terms to be coined, snogging to be done, a few tears to cry, and quillions of laughs to be shared. Summer 2008: I miss you, but I'm ready for what these weekends have to offer me until your friend ohnein takes a vacation around here.

No comments: