Monday, May 4, 2009

Webzine

It's this notion I have that I really want to do something with my spare time; something productive and meaningful that could very well grow to be something really damn cool. My idea was originally to start a print-zine; hard copies Xeroxed and stapled by hand and distributed by hand. This is all in the spirit of what a zine really initially was: an independently produced and distributed work. However, that isn't as cheap, easy or eco-friendly as I was really going for so now I'm settled on working on a Webzine on Blogspot; basically all the frills of a zine but more user-friendly, easier to manage, can be updated more often, is more with the times of a technology-fueled world...and of course takes a hell of a lot less paper (let's say, none) and is free to do. With a good community behind it we could get a lot of weekly or bi-weekly or read-it-as-often-or-not-as-they'd-like readers. That'd be swell, huh?
So first off, I need to come up with a name. It's got to be memorable. Short and memorable, and random. I can't get tired of it because I've got to make it into a permanent URL and everything so... as soon as the name business is out of the way I'm free to work on as many graphics as I would like for the site's aesthetics (and create the site to begin with). I've collected a lot of content folks have sent it already, but I want more, and after everything's set up I can start working on an actual "issue" so to speak. I need to talk to some chaps about possible columns or rants. It's all about content; the site could look as fancy as a purple goat and it still wouldn't mean shit if the content's complete shit.
So that's the plan:
  1. come up with a name/create site
  2. design design design
  3. work on issue
  4. let the world know!
My hopes are that this could actually go somewhere. So I'm going to go shower and then work more on step one so that I can get this shit going.

Night folks

No comments: